Doors To Happiness

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'll keep both my kidneys, thank you!




It is true, you only need one kidney, but thanks to some great doctors and what has proved to be quite the process, I get to keep both of mine! It all started on February 24th. It was a Thursday so after my student teaching I went straight to the dance studio to teach dance lessons. By the end of my third class I was having a ton of back pain. This isn't uncharacteristic for me, I just figured I tweaked it somehow at dance. I went home took some ibuprofen, had dinner, visiting teachers, was feeling okay. Chad went to the library and I dozed off while working on some lesson plans. When I woke up the pain was back and worse, I spent the rest of the night throwing up and in a crazy amount of pain.


One thing led to another and I reluctantly agreed to go to the emergency room. My mom picked me up and so the adventure began. After a few blood tests and a C.T. scan they informed me that I had a kidney infection, the infection was in my blood, and my kidney was three times the size of normal, meaning there was something wrong with my ureter that was causing urine to back up and my kidney to be enlarged. This is something I was born with most likely and has been going on for a while. (explaining my years of back pain).


They pumped me full on antibiotics and a spent the rest of the day waiting to hae a procedure where they put a stint or a tube from my kidney to my bladder that would help the infection to drain. I woke up form the procedure feel a lot better already. I spent the night in the hospital and was able to come home the next morning. I spent the next week taking it easy and the surgery to re-size my kidney and reconstruct and reattach my kidney was scheduled for March 28th. I was a little dissapointed to have to wait so long becuase I wasn't feeling great and that meant I had to miss my families trip to Florida, but they wanted to make sure all the infection was gone before they performend the next surgery.


Skip ahead to March 28th. I arrive at the hospital 6:30 A.M. and don the gown, booties, and hideous cap. (no pictures are provided so use your imagination, it wasn't pretty) The doctor and anesthesiologist came in, both previous ward members. They told me I was their VIP patient. They told me that htye had decided that they would give me an epidural, which I was incredibly greatful for when I woke up. Next thing I remember, I was in the recovery room, kidney fixed.


I spent a 3 days in the hospital. I spent the first day very angry(anesthesia does that to me). They wouldn't let me have anything to eat or drink and they kept waking me up every hour or so during the night. I was ready to kick some nurse butt, except I couldn't get out of bed. They let me go home on Wednesday and I'm home taking it easy with so much to be greatful for.


1)My wonderful husband. He's been nurse, maid, and chef. Most of all he's put up with my random crying for no reason. I have too many drugs in my system. I lucked out, I married and incredible man.

2) My mother, she's the best, she's been there for anything and everything.

3)The rest of the fam, I have the best relatives.

4) My friends, they're always there for me.

5) All the prayers that have been offered for me.

6) Coloring books and all of my favorite treats!

7) The "it's a boy balloon" courtesey of my cousin Tanner, brings me a good laugh.

6) Enough flowers to put on every table in my apartment.


9) A fully stocked fridge, thanks to both mothers!

1 comment:

  1. Kynz--glad to hear that you are on the mend. And I am glad that I found your blog. Yeah for blogging! I especially like the "It's a boy" balloon. Tanner is great. :)

    ReplyDelete